The Internet has made it possible to post your photos to FB, Twitter or any other site. The camera apps in mobile phones or smartphones and tablets can take optimum pictures without compromising much of a detail. However, for serious photography ( sports or wildlife) , you may have to consider other options available in digital cameras. So, here are some points on digital cameras to consider when purchasing that piece of gadget.
The most important advantage of a camera is that you can print your photos on your own on photo-quality papers or without going for developing a photographic films as would be in older cameras; and can be uploaded to a Computer and edited them by using various photo editors available online.
There are various types of cameras offering features such as :
- Optical zoom and Optical Image Stabilization
- Sensors for producing better quality photos (color and light adjustments)
- Built in WI-FI and NFC(Near Field Communication) connectivity
- Some cameras come with video recording (DSLR)
- Picture effect mode and sweep panorama , and so on…
- These and other features are explained later, meanwhile, let’s take a look at the types of cameras available:
Types of Digital Cameras:
High speed camera
- The Kodak Instant Cameras which let you print photos instantly as you click an object are no longer manufactured but can be available in secondary market. As per your applications, you can choose cameras from variety of shapes and sizes:
- Compact cameras (portable and lightweight ) for partying or get-to-gather.
- The Cameras with lens support and other advance features (zoom lens and image stabilization).
- DSLR (Digital Single Lens Reflex) camera offers professional level features such as interchangeable lenses, automatic as well as manual controls( ISO-sensitivity of image sensor to light, if less then low sensitivity to light-better output, Aperture and shutter speed). The website, Digital-photography-school.com has explained these terms.
- The cameras that are waterproof, dustproof and shockproof. Scuba.com reviews cameras for underwater expedition and other diving gears.
- High-speed cameras for wildlife and sports photography. The website, highspeedphotography.org are the one to look for in this case.
- key Features To Look For:
Resolution: The features vary from camera to camera, so elaborating some main features here , although explaining features are more or less a part of professional photography.
Different camera manufacturers have rounded off to different density of pixels, such as 5MP, 8MP and so on. 5MP OR 5 mega pixels of density determines photographs’ detailing; the more of it, the more precise the photo will be. For more see: wikihow.com/calculate –a-digital-camera’s-resolution-from-its-pixel-count. Resolution also determines how large a print will b, 5MP camera produces 8x10 inch photos with all details intact. For more see: design215.com/toolbox/megapixels.php for print size chart. Higher the resolution, the bigger image file will be. 5MP or 2MP camera is sufficient for posting on social networking sites.
Sensors: It provides better color reproduction under different light conditions. Sensor’s resolution should be at least twice the camera’s resolution, e.g. sony’s 20.1 MP APS-C Exmor APS HD CMOS Sensor. CMOS backside illuminated is most used sensor technology in cameras.
Lens: A zoom lens magnify an object without moving closer. Zooming via lens is called optical zooming. On the other hand, digital zoom refers to pixel-level mechanism which may degrade picture quality, and for computer ‘s zoom. Optical zoom is recommended. 3X zoom for general photography, 10x to 12x zoom for wildlife and 60x zoom for space photography.
Image Stabilization: With this, you can shoot whilst in motion. It can tackle well all the camera movements. Digital Image Stabilization is more effective than optical (performed by shifting lenses)
Storage: Most of the cameras provide flash memory (in-built) which is better to use rather than directly on hard drive, and with SD card slot.
User Interface: Most of the cameras are compatible with Windows and Mac operating systems and can be connected to computer via USB port.
Box Light: This is an additional or optional feature to muster on while producing professional quality photographs, as in fashion photography.
Accessories: Batteries: Lots of power is consumed by LCD screen and camera. Rechargeable battery technology will improve or use exchangeable batteries (as in torch). Bags and tripod for long lenses.
Nowadays, camera comes with video recording as also( or Camcorders), where all the above criteria applies and some additional features need to be considered such as WI-fi (wireless connections of limited range to Internet over smartphones or tablets for uploading clips quickly), NFC – swipe two NFC-enabled gadgets together to transfer photos , microphone jack for recording voices, headphone for listening what the microphone is hearing and view finder.